Welcome to B.U.G. Farms!
A Backyard-Grown Urban CSA Farm For Salt Lake City, Utah
Heather harvesting Chard with glorious hilarity
Backyard Urban Garden (B.U.G) Farms is a top 40's heavy but mostly medium listening, muckraking Community Supported Agriculture project that aims to provide the freshest, tastiest, sustainably grown vegetables for our patrons in bustling Salt Lake City. Following the innovative and practical SPIN farming model, we cultivate a constellation of backyard plots that equate nearly an acre of urban farm-lets that have enabled us to feed up to a 100 families and select restaurants. In addition to growing produce, we also whip, stew and squeeze-up a keen selection of prepared soups, packaged foods, and juices.
A slathering of our fine deep Maroon Beet Butter
For more information on the many CSA Share options we offer as well as recipes and cooking tips, click on the "BUG CSA" tab, and to sign up, click here. For archived newsletters with anecdotes, visit the "About Us" page, and reach us via our "Connect/FoodWebs" Page. Enjoy our site, meet us in person, and 'like' us on Facebook for the latest updates, videos and pictures from the farm!
Please feel free to share your comments, or sign up on our mailing list to get the inside scoop on what B.U.G. is doing, and how to get involved. We love hearing from you!
The EKSTATISCHE 2014 BUG Farm Crew, from left to right: Coleman Riedesel, Hanley Smith, Alexandra Parvaz, Carly Gillespie and Sharon Leopardi (Founding B.U.G. Farmer), and soon to be pictured Paul Shea!
BUG Farms In The News
- Zone 4 Magazine Fall 2012 p. 17 : Putting the SPIN on Backyard Urban Gardens (print only)
- Small Blurb from the Sugarhouse Journal, 8/16/2012: Backyard Urban Garden Farms produce fresh, local food
- I was part of the discussion on Radio West May 2, 2012: In Season: Soil, Local Gardens, and Young Farmers
- Catalyst Magazine April 2012: Passion Fruit
- Customer Review of our CSA posted with the Examiner 10/23/2011: BUG Farms Is The New Kid On The Block
- KCPW City Views 9/14/2011:Urban Farming
- EcoJaunt made this video about us in August 2011: BUG Farms: Backyard Urban Gardens Salt Lake City, UT
- City Weekly, June 9, 2011: Summer Guide: Salt Lakers Customize Their Perfect Summer Day
- Salt Lake Tribune, April 5, 2011: Backyard Urban Garden makes green neighbors
- Check out this article from the Deseret News from March 25, 2011!
- Here is a video about seed starting that I did with UFAVA (Utah Fruit Growers Assocication)
- Check out this article from the Salt Lake Tribune about microgreens I am growing at Mountain Valley Seed Co. from February 14, 2011.
- BUG Farms was featured on the October 15, 2010 Friday Farmer blog from Zocalo, check it out here
- Here is a quick video filmed at the Sugar House Farmers Market, check it out here
- City Weekly wrote a story about BUG Farms back in July 2010, read it here
- Check out this blog about BUG Farms from Tenacious Palate